All international students must complete the following steps for admission to CFA:
Step 1: complete the Online Application by clicking the button above, which includes an I-20 form and deposit fee.
Step 2: pay the I-901 SEVIS fee and obtain your M-1 Visa.
CFA will provide you with the I-20 form via mail (such as FedEx) which will arrive at your permanent address provided to us in your application. Once you receive your I-20 form you must pay the I-901 fee online at www.fmjfee.com. This fee maintains the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) used by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Call your local U.S. Embassy to make an appointment to apply for your M-1 Visa. This process could take several weeks, depending on demand. To prepare for your appointment, you must bring the following:
- Original I-20 form issued from California Flight Academy.
- Valid Passport with expiration date of at least 6 months past your intended period of stay.
- Proof of payment for the I-901 SEVIS fee.
- Proof of financial certification and evidence of ties in your country.
- Please visit www.usembassy.gov or contact your local U.S. Embassy to ensure you have all the required documents.
Step 3: complete the Alien Flight Student Program with the U.S. Transportation Security Administration (TSA).
To complete this process, you must:
- Go to www.flightschoolcandidates.gov and click on “Create New Student Account”.
- Complete the required information and ensure it matches your passport information.
- After you have created an account and received your password, log in and create a training request.
- If attending CFA for the Commercial Pilot Program (or the Professional Pilot Program), the first course you will take is course name “Initial”. The Course ID will be “02” for Private. The aircraft used in this training will be a Cessna 152, Cessna 162, Cessna 172 or PA 28-161 (Piper Warrior). Please list all these aircraft in the training request.
- If you already have an FAA private license and are seeking an advanced rating, please use course name “Instrument” and course ID “02” for Instrument Rating. The aircraft used in this training will be a Cessna 172 or PA 28-161 (Piper Warrior). Please list all these aircraft in the training request.
- If you already have an FAA instrument license and are seeking an advanced rating, please use course name “MEL” and course ID “02” for Multi-engine and for Commercial. The aircraft used in this training will be a Beechcraft-76. Please list all these aircraft in the training request.
- If you already have an FAA commercial license and are seeking an advanced rating, please use course name “CFI” and course ID “02” for Certified Flight Instructor.
Note: Your FAA Medical Certificate, photos and fingerprints can be completed upon your arrival in the U.S.
If you need additional assistance with this process, please complete the Request Information Form above, or feel free to contact your Admissions Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (619) 448-2212.